Monday, June 29, 2009

Peas and Bees

Interesting news today.
The nice news, is that I was able to harvest my pole beans and cow peas yesterday, and they made MORE than enough for dinner. We even have enough for lunch tomorrow! I was so excited, because I've read that peas take so much work to grow and shell and cook, with so little gain, that they aren't really worth growing. Some of the peas I got were a little under-developed and green, but they were all right. (Just REALLY hard to shell.) Anyhoo, they tasted wonderful, and we had a great meal.










(All the scraps!)

The not so nice news, is that I stepped on a bee or yellowjacket this morning and got stung on my foot. I was watering my herbs, and I decided to remove the little bitty mamosa tree that was trying to grow in my dill planter. Being so kind hearted towards plants, instead of just ripping it out and throwing it away, I gingerly dug it out, planning to replant it in a heap of old potting soil behind our house. A few feet away from it, practically before my foot even hit the ground, I pulled it away with a yelp. I immediently hobbled away crying, so I never got a look at what stung me.
I've been stung by yellow jackets before, but never a bee, hornet or wasp so I don't even know what those feel like. My mum gave me a Benadryl right after it happened, and I kept an ice pack on it for a while, so the swelling isn't TOO bad. There wasn't a stinger, so I didn't have to worry about that, but my foot did swell up enough that I can't walk on it right. I've been an invalid all day, which is kind of fun! :P Hehe, I'm just kidding of course, I've still been helping around with what chores I can. I would post a picture of my foot for you... ... ... tehehe... but it looks a little... erm, well... FAT. :P Hehe. I told my mum, "If this is what it feels like to have fat feet, I'm surely never gonna be fat!!" The few times I've tried walking flat footed, it's felt *really* weird. And it hurts, so I don't really try.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures of the beans and peas!! =D I wish I coulda had some. They look delicious! Save some for me for supper tonight. =P lol!
    Yeah, I saw on your facebook you stepped on something. =( Well... hopefully your feet aren't fat anymore. xD If they are, I wanna see!! lol! But at least your face didn't swell up this time. ;-) Hehe!
    See y'all tonight!

    ~Madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tehee... once again you make me laugh cousin Lucinda. And no, THANKFULLY my foot is no longer "fat". I can walk again! Hallelujah! And okay, you may partake of the precious peas and bountiful beans on the eve of the 30th. Or, in other words, sure you can have some!

    ReplyDelete